Wednesday, January 4, 2012

A "Make it Work" Kitchen

With the New Year comes resolutions & a focus on getting your life organized. This week I couldn't help but notice how many articles I came across regarding "organize your home one room at a time" or "storage for your personality". It only seemed fitting to put my two cents in & share how I made my euro-style flat's kitchen a workable space. Here's a little refresher on what I was up against:

An overabundance of counter space...
Ok storage but it's not always convenient to use a stepstool to get things down...
At least I have a gas stove & oven!

So with a very white slate I began. Step 1: IKEA. If this is how Europeans make their apartamentos work I can too!

Shopping List:

1. something to go above the oven
photo cred: IKEA
Bekvam Spice Racks x2
{these will be a snap to paint & "spice" up}

2. more space to show of the Fiestaware
photo cred: IKEA
After my dad saw my handiwork with an electric drill to mount this
GRUNDTAL wall shelf he said, "Watch out Bob Villa".
{I know he was very proud.}

3. something to dry dishes sans counter space
photo cred: IKEA
The GRUNDTAL series strikes again-- genius.

4. somewhere to hang my pots & pans
photo cred: IKEA
Some hooks for this GRUNDTAL rail & we're set!


{drum roll for the grand reveal...}

Yes, that's a fresh cobbler baked by moi



Thanks to a score from my good buds I have
instant additional counter space & storage!

My handiwork has made my kitchen so workable
even a man can cook in it :)

Thanks for reading. I'm sure even Tim Gunn would be proud of my "make it work moment" with this circa-1890 kitchen!

*lucy.


p.s. The first time I posted this entry I forgot to include these pictures:

Thank goodness for my lovely bf who mounted this rack with industrial strength!
It's definitely not going anywhere



















No comments:

Post a Comment