Monday, February 21, 2011

Fireplace Fiasco

Ok, so it's not really a "fiasco" but that sounded better than "Fireplace Dilemma". I really want to paint this bad boy but am being a chicken about it. I can't get the rustic brick back if I hate it painted...

So I decided to consult my favorite design goddess, Genevieve Gorder. WWGD? Not only do I love the name "Genevieve" but she has been one of my design idols since her days of Trading Spaces.  Today she continues to wow me with her HGTV series "Dear Genevieve". Her recent episode of transforming a tiny NYC apartment just might be one of my favorites. The apartment owner's mom actually has a blog where she featured the transformation (& I might just have to try her Lava Cakes!). 

Here is my letter to Miss Genevieve:

Dear Genevieve,
              Our circa-1980’s living room is in need some serious Genevieve-goodness! We are overwhelmed by our bulky brick fireplace & limited furniture arrangement possibilities due to the cable hookup for our TV. We think your flair to make cramped spaces livable & lovely is exactly what we need!!
              Ultimately, we’d like to make the fireplace (focal point of the room) lighter & brighter. I would like to paint it but know this is not reversible so am looking for your expertise.  Some decorative storage ideas that are budget-friendly would also be ideal.
We look forward to hearing your ideas that will give this dated space a touch of modern whimsy & our fluffy corgi, Willis, a stylish new perch!

Sincerely,
Brad & Mara
(Willis too!)

Fingers crossed that Gen responds to my email!! I think the picture of Willis I attached might help our cause:

Willis daydreaming of a more stylish mantle...
♥lucy

p.s. taking reader suggestions for our fireplace revamp as well! comments welcome :)

No comments:

Post a Comment